By Eugene E. Carpenter
Read or Download Biblical Itinerary: In Search of Method, Form and Content. Essays in Honor of George W. Coats PDF
Similar old testament books
Designed for college kids project their first systematic examine of the Hebrew Bible, this article has ambitions: to acquaint readers with the content material and significant subject matters of the biblical files, and to introduce them to matters in biblical scholarship. Pedagogically wealthy and reader-friendly, this article used to be designed for traditional introductory classes utilizing historical-critical technique, and also will be worthwhile in classes learning the Bible as literature, or as a reference textual content within the learn of old faith.
Wilf Hildebrandt conscientiously explores the which means of Â“the SpiritÂ” within the outdated testomony. He examines the position of GodÂ’s Spirit in construction, within the institution and upkeep of GodÂ’s humans, in prophecy, and in IsraelÂ’s management. He unveils the critical function that the Spirit performs in creatively bringing concerning the directives of God.
This special reception background of the Epistle of James is a well-known addition to the Blackwell Bible Commentaries sequence. Written by way of an excellent New testomony expert, it chronicles the key theological, political, and aesthetic responses to the textual content over the centuries, and to James as a historic determine.
Zechariah 1-8 is a deeply intertextual paintings which takes up previously disparate streams of culture - particularly a variety of parts of what it calls ‘the former prophets' - and creatively combines those traditions, in employing them to a post-exilic context. This truth signifies that Zechariah 1-8 is positioned in a twin context - the literary context of ‘the former prophets', and the old context of the early post-exilic interval.
- Shiloh ; a Biblical City in Tradition and History
- The Idea of Biblical Interpretation: Essays in Honor of James L. Kugel (Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism)
- Genesis 15: A Theological Compendium of Pentateuchal History
- 'Every City Shall Be Forsaken': Urbanism and Prophecy in Ancient Israel and the Near East (JSOT Supplement)
- Dimensions of Job: A Study and Selected Readings
- Empire, Power and Indigenous Elites: A Case Study of the Nehemiah Memoir
Extra resources for Biblical Itinerary: In Search of Method, Form and Content. Essays in Honor of George W. Coats
C) Late Meccan (32; 41; 11; 14; 40; 28; 29; 42; 10; 7; 46; 6; 13). D) Medinan (2; 8; 3; 61; 4; 33; 22; 66; 5). II) Traditional Muslim attribution, in sequence. A) Meccan (73; 53; 54; 38; 7; 25; 18; 19; 26; 28; 17; 10; 11; 6; 37; 40; 41; 42; 43; 44; 46; 51; 14; 21; 23; 32; 79; 29). B) Medinan (2; 8; 3; 33; 66; 61; 5). Moubarac, 'Moi'se', pp. 376-84, has a detailed presentation using Nb'ldeke's dating. 37. Cf. Rippin, 'Literary Analysis', especially pp. 153, 161. The division of Moses references into Meccan and Medinan surahs would be relevant to the literary and theological evaluation of the Qur'an but would not allow us to draw historical conclusions about when and in what context Muhammad made most use of the Moses tradition.
Literary history and Israelite life experienced transformation, for Gunkel, in the period after 750 BCE. Individualism raised its head along with the worlddominating enemies and national catastrophe. Here prophecy took over center stage. 18. F. Hahn, The Old Testament in Modern Research (expanded by a survey of recent literature by Horace D. Hummel; Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1966 ), pp. 119-56. 19. Anton Jirku, Die dlteste Geschichte Israels im Rahmen lehrhafter Darstellungen (Leipzig, 1913) traced the summaries of Israel's early history in Josh.
30. B. L. ), Cracking Old Testament Codes (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1995), p. 3. Interestingly, the distinction is made between narrative and history, apparently dividing Pentateuch from history books. Narrative is described in purely literary terms of plot, scene, characterization with no reference to form-critical terms, whereas history is described with explicit dependence on the Forms of the Old Testament Literature series with an almost comprehensive list of the sub-genres noted in the volumes on Kings and Chronicles.
Biblical Itinerary: In Search of Method, Form and Content. Essays in Honor of George W. Coats by Eugene E. Carpenter