By D. C. Phillips
Education is a box occasionally beset by way of theories-of-the-day and with effortless panaceas that overpromise the measure to which they could alleviate urgent academic difficulties. The two-volume Encyclopedia of academic conception and Philosophy introduces readers to theories that experience stood the try of time and people who have supplied the old origin for the easiest of up to date academic concept and practice. Drawing jointly a workforce of foreign students, this precious reference examines the worldwide panorama of the entire key theories and the theorists at the back of them and provides them within the context had to comprehend their strengths and weaknesses. In addition to interpretations of fashioned theories, this paintings bargains essays on state-of-the-art learn and concise, to-the-point definitions of key ideas, principles, faculties, and figures.
- Over 300 signed entries by way of relied on specialists within the box are geared up into volumes and overseen by means of a extraordinary basic Editor and a world Editorial Board.
- Entries are by means of pass references and additional examining feedback.
- A Chronology of thought in the box of schooling highlights advancements over the centuries; a Reader’s consultant teams entries thematically, and a master Bibliography enables extra examine.
- The Reader’s advisor, exact index, and move references combine for strong search-and-browse features within the digital model.
Available in a call of print or digital codecs, Encyclopedia of academic concept and Philosophy is an perfect reference for an individual attracted to the roots of contemporary educational theory.
Read Online or Download Encyclopedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy PDF
Best encyclopedias books
The single complete connection with the advance and current nation of yank schooling, "Encyclopedia of yank schooling, 3rd variation" contains greater than 2,000 entries spanning the colonial interval to the current. This authoritative three-volume reference presents a wealth of knowledge on nearly each point of schooling, from the evolution of faculty curriculum, schooling investment, and church-state controversies to the most recent debates on multiculturalism, prayer in class, and intercourse schooling.
The Social technological know-how Encyclopedia goals to supply a large, authoritative, available and updated insurance of the social sciences in a handy layout. it's meant for a classy yet no longer unavoidably expert readership, together with social scientists, scholars, newshounds, managers, planners and directors, and certainly all people with a significant curiosity in modern educational considering the person in society.
''This quantity enshrines and preserves the essence of what the television Western has constantly been all approximately. '' --Fess Parker, celebrity of the Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone television sequence, from the forewordSince the start of tv, Westerns were taking part in at the small monitor. From the mid-1950s until eventually the early Sixties, they have been one in all TV's most well liked genres, with hundreds of thousands of audience tuning in to such renowned indicates as Rawhide, Gunsmoke, and Disney's Davy Crockett.
`Every every now and then one stumbles throughout a breath of unpolluted air and this functional study advisor is unquestionably one among them! .. it is going to be without doubt fresh for these people who retain going to the sector and who might be have forgotten the human size of analysis. if you supervise scholars the booklet may be an invaluable resource of concept.
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology Vol 8
- Wiley encyclopedia of operations research and management science
- The A-Z Encyclopedia of Food Controversies and the Law
- Policy Sciences. Methodologies and Cases
Extra resources for Encyclopedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy
41) Again, the issues that arise here will be pursued elsewhere in these volumes. Modes of Philosophy Usage of the term philosophy presents difficulties that parallel the ones faced in dealing with theory. (For deeper discussion of the following points, see the entry “Philosophy of Education,” in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy; Phillips & Siegel, 2013). ) In this diffused sense of the word, there are innumerable “philosophers of education,” for a great many individuals have thought relatively deeply about, or have strong and complex opinions or biases about, educational issues; parents, teachers and former teachers, school administrators, and politicians and candidates for political office are among the ranks of philosophers of education in this extended sense.
O’Neill, O. (2002). A question of trust: The BBC Reith lectures 2002. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. Problems The combined impact of standards-based educational reform and a managerial approach to accountability has put considerable pressure on the educational system. The pressure is felt not only by students themselves but also by teachers and schools, particularly in situations where performance data—at the school level and sometimes even at the level of individual teachers—are made public.
For the situation is that various trains of argument can be constructed that lead from the very same is statement or theory to quite different conclusions about what ought to be done in practice; where we end up depends on what value premises and other material we use in constructing the argument that actually links theory and practice—and this was part of William James’s point when he noted that to generate ideas about an art such as teaching from scientific statements, “an intermediary inventive mind” was required in order to make the link, and it follows that different “inventive minds” might make links that lead in different directions.
Encyclopedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy by D. C. Phillips